The encore career movement — compassionate and passionate people over 50 who are immersed in second acts to improve society — is on the march, gingerly. More than 4.5 million Americans age 50 to 70 are working in encore roles today. And 500 encore leaders, along with a few journalists including me, just convened in Tempe, Ariz. at Encore 2014: Building an Encore Nation, the largest conference its host, Encore.org, has held. (The Encore.org 2014 Purpose Prize Awards and The Eisner Foundation’s 2014 Eisner Prizes for Intergenerational Excellence were also presented there.) “The more you look around the corners, the more you find really interesting things being done,” former Disney CEO and Eisner Foundation co-founder Michael Eisner told me at the conference. As one wag at Encore 2014 put it: “We’ve gone from a notion to a nation.” (MORE: Purpose Prize Winners Doing Great Work) At the conference, part inspirational pep rally (its theme: Leave Your Mark; tongue-in-cheek hashtag: #unselfie) and part introspective meetup, attendees bravely addressed some of the big questions facing the encore movement, largely about how to grow it and make it more inclusive. ADVERTISING Addressing 3 Key Questions If you’re considering launching an encore career or are already living one, I think you’ll be interested to hear what I heard. I’ve pulled together highlights by posing three questions and noting answers that were offered. Why aren’t more companies and nonprofits hiring encore careerists or helping their current employees transition into encore careers? Some — such as Intel, IBM, HP, Procter & Gamble, Boeing and Eli Lilly are. Intel, for instance, created Intel Encore Career Fellowships and offers pre-retirees advice about entrepreneurship in midlife. Said Amber Wiseley, who heads up retirement program design at Intel: “We are not in the business of picking the right encore careers, but supporting our employees when they are ready to retire and approach that transition.” Recommended by Forbes Celebrity CruisesVoice: 7 Tips For Planning Your First Cruise My Encore Career: What I Did Right And Wrong FidelityVoice: Fed Raises Rates: What’s Next? Why Learning A Language Could Save Your Career Barriers To Encore Careers Are Falling When You Feel Like The Oldest Person At Work MOST POPULAR Photos: Top College In Every State +70,114 VIEWS Apple Leak Reveals First ‘iPhone 7 Pro’ Images MOST POPULAR Photos: Best And Worst States For Taxes And Encore.org’s Encore Fellowship Network program has placed Fellows at more than 200 nonprofits. Encore President Ann MacDougall called the program a “roaring success,” describing Encore Fellows as “Trojan horses,” because they bring encore talent into organizations and, ideally, lead the nonprofits to hire more of them.
- Knoxville, TN - Critical Care SpecialistLa Jolla plans to build a new commercial organization and launch its first commercial product which provides a clinically unmet need in a disease state with a current mortality rate upwards of 80%. The Critical Care Field Team will represent La Jolla Pharm
- Escrow AssistantLocal Escrow office in La Quinta looking for an Escrow Assistant The Escrow Assistant will provide support during the opening, maintaining, and closing of escrow accounts. They assist escrow officers by creating and editing correspondence and documents, ma
- CALL CENTER REPRESENTATIVESUniversal Screen Arts, Inc. is a multi-brand and online retailer in Hudson, Ohio, with immediate openings for several SEASONAL INBOUND CALL CENTER REPRESENTATIVES. Our call center team receives inbound calls from customers looking to purchase one or more o
- Warehouse AssociateCorestaff Services is seeking 3 contract records specialist for a data collection and storage company located in Johnstown, PA. You will be working in a warehouse environment and your responsibilities would include processing orders and moving boxes of fil
- Hiring Professional Security Officers -- Snohomish County, WAThe Professional Security Officer is the heart of Allied Universal Services. Our officers allow us to accomplish our company’s core purpose which is “to serve, secure and care for the people and businesses in our communities”. The Professional Security Off
- Medical Record Technician / PractitionerMedical Record Technician / Practitioner The position maintains the medical records of the center in accordance with policies and procedures established for the medical record keeping practices.
- Salesfloor Supervisor - Hardlines (Mt. Pleasant, MI #7014)To serve, delight, and engage our members while they shop their way. Supervises salesfloor associates, operations. Ensures store team delivers a WOW customer experience. Oversees the store recovery process and may have ownership of opening closing responsi
- Shipping and ReceivingAbout M S International, Inc. Founded in 1975, MSI is the leading supplier of Premium Surfaces including flooring, countertops, decorative mosaics, wall tile and hardscaping products. MSI’s product offering includes an extensive selection of granite, marbl
- Satellite TechnicianHas an overall understanding of the work environment and process, with a working knowledge of the organization and an intermediate level of technical skills required to complete assignments Strong organizational and communications skills Ability to work un
- Intensive care unit - ICU RN - Travel NurseWe're looking for Intensive Care Unit RNs for an immediate travel nurse opening in Kingsport, TN. The right nurse should have 1-2 years recent acute care experience. Read below for more requirements. As an ICU Travel Nurse, you'll be responsible fo
- Knoxville, TN - Critical Care Specialist