If you are in a leadership role, then be the boss, not a friend. Nevertheless, one of the things that separate a great manager from a good manager is the manager’s ability to be cordial and friendly with the members of his or her team. Drawing the line between cordiality and friendship can be difficult, but here we discuss some of the reasons why it is best not to be friends with your employees, and why it’s best to keep your relationship on a professional level. It’s in Our Nature Humans are social creatures – it’s ingrained in our nature. However, we all gravitate more toward some people than to others. Being amicable with your team is a great way to encourage communication and to motivate, but if you start to approach them as friends, you will naturally be closer to some more than others. The “others” will inevitable question your decisions and perhaps accuse you of favoritism. In fact, some managers do tend to give their closer “friends” more benefits, so the accusation of favoritism might not be far off. If you refrain from being friends with your employees, your decisions will be centered on performance; favoritism will be a baseless accusation. What’s more, attempts to become friends with your employees can come across as insincere precisely because certain individuals may not be the sort of person with whom you would normally be on friendly terms. You may mean well and you may be trying to be friendly with these people to avoid signs of favoritism, but at the end of the day, we know when others are genuinely interested in getting to know us. Coming across as insincere can undermine your authority and respect; that will make it difficult for you to do your job, let alone make sure your team members are doing theirs. Professional Responsibility Trumps Personal Relationships The boss/employee and friend/friend relationships are very different in their essence. Friends are equals, while the boss is by definition the superior. You may think that you can get more out of your team if they are also friends, but remember that ultimately you are in a leadership role and are responsible for all decisions. Where friends can disagree and choose not to go the same route, as management you need to be able to discipline your employees— something that is exceedingly difficult if they are also your friends.
- Knoxville, TN - Critical Care SpecialistLa Jolla plans to build a new commercial organization and launch its first commercial product which provides a clinically unmet need in a disease state with a current mortality rate upwards of 80%. The Critical Care Field Team will represent La Jolla Pharm
- Escrow AssistantLocal Escrow office in La Quinta looking for an Escrow Assistant The Escrow Assistant will provide support during the opening, maintaining, and closing of escrow accounts. They assist escrow officers by creating and editing correspondence and documents, ma
- CALL CENTER REPRESENTATIVESUniversal Screen Arts, Inc. is a multi-brand and online retailer in Hudson, Ohio, with immediate openings for several SEASONAL INBOUND CALL CENTER REPRESENTATIVES. Our call center team receives inbound calls from customers looking to purchase one or more o
- Warehouse AssociateCorestaff Services is seeking 3 contract records specialist for a data collection and storage company located in Johnstown, PA. You will be working in a warehouse environment and your responsibilities would include processing orders and moving boxes of fil
- Hiring Professional Security Officers -- Snohomish County, WAThe Professional Security Officer is the heart of Allied Universal Services. Our officers allow us to accomplish our company’s core purpose which is “to serve, secure and care for the people and businesses in our communities”. The Professional Security Off
- Medical Record Technician / PractitionerMedical Record Technician / Practitioner The position maintains the medical records of the center in accordance with policies and procedures established for the medical record keeping practices.
- Salesfloor Supervisor - Hardlines (Mt. Pleasant, MI #7014)To serve, delight, and engage our members while they shop their way. Supervises salesfloor associates, operations. Ensures store team delivers a WOW customer experience. Oversees the store recovery process and may have ownership of opening closing responsi
- Shipping and ReceivingAbout M S International, Inc. Founded in 1975, MSI is the leading supplier of Premium Surfaces including flooring, countertops, decorative mosaics, wall tile and hardscaping products. MSI’s product offering includes an extensive selection of granite, marbl
- Satellite TechnicianHas an overall understanding of the work environment and process, with a working knowledge of the organization and an intermediate level of technical skills required to complete assignments Strong organizational and communications skills Ability to work un
- Intensive care unit - ICU RN - Travel NurseWe're looking for Intensive Care Unit RNs for an immediate travel nurse opening in Kingsport, TN. The right nurse should have 1-2 years recent acute care experience. Read below for more requirements. As an ICU Travel Nurse, you'll be responsible fo
- Knoxville, TN - Critical Care Specialist