If you are in a leadership role, then be the boss, not a friend. Nevertheless, one of the things that separate a great manager from a good manager is the manager’s ability to be cordial and friendly with the members of his or her team. Drawing the line between cordiality and friendship can be difficult, but here we discuss some of the reasons why it is best not to be friends with your employees, and why it’s best to keep your relationship on a professional level. It’s in Our Nature Humans are social creatures – it’s ingrained in our nature. However, we all gravitate more toward some people than to others. Being amicable with your team is a great way to encourage communication and to motivate, but if you start to approach them as friends, you will naturally be closer to some more than others. The “others” will inevitable question your decisions and perhaps accuse you of favoritism. In fact, some managers do tend to give their closer “friends” more benefits, so the accusation of favoritism might not be far off. If you refrain from being friends with your employees, your decisions will be centered on performance; favoritism will be a baseless accusation. What’s more, attempts to become friends with your employees can come across as insincere precisely because certain individuals may not be the sort of person with whom you would normally be on friendly terms. You may mean well and you may be trying to be friendly with these people to avoid signs of favoritism, but at the end of the day, we know when others are genuinely interested in getting to know us. Coming across as insincere can undermine your authority and respect; that will make it difficult for you to do your job, let alone make sure your team members are doing theirs. Professional Responsibility Trumps Personal Relationships The boss/employee and friend/friend relationships are very different in their essence. Friends are equals, while the boss is by definition the superior. You may think that you can get more out of your team if they are also friends, but remember that ultimately you are in a leadership role and are responsible for all decisions. Where friends can disagree and choose not to go the same route, as management you need to be able to discipline your employees— something that is exceedingly difficult if they are also your friends.
- Registered NurseUnder direct supervision, this position is responsible for performing all duties related to the efficient, safe, and compliant collection of blood and blood products. Works collaboratively as a member of the team and in alignment with the values of the org
- Student Truck Drivers Needed – great pay and benefits!The opportunity once you’ve finished the course and obtained your Class A CDL would be a regional flatbed driving opportunity where you’d be away from home during the week and then are home on the weekends! Average earnings for first year driver with our c
- Security Officer/ High RiseKey Words: Security Guard, Security Officer, Security, Protective Agent, Watchman, Night Watchman, Day Watchman, Surveillance, Security, Surveillance Officer, Loss Prevention, Theft Prevention, Customer Service Security Officer, Hotel Security Officer, Saf
- Emergency Room Registered NurseCentra Healthcare Solutions is seeking an experienced Registered Nurse that is licensed or in the immediate process, and qualifies, of obtaining RN licensure in MT to work in Hospital in the specialty area of Emergency Room.This is a 13 week assignmentThis
- HVAC MechanicWe know that a company's success starts with its employees. We also know that an individual's success starts with the right career opportunity. As a Best of Staffing ® Client and Talent leader, Aerotek's people-focused approach yields competitive advantage
- Accounting AssociateUnder general supervision, investigates, analyzes, and reconciles accounting and financial related information as well as prepares financial statements. Acts as a liaison between internal departments and affiliates in resolving outstanding issues.
- Structures Technician $34/HrWe know that a company's success starts with its employees. We also know that an individual's success starts with the right career opportunity. As a Best of Staffing ® Client and Talent leader, Aerotek's people-focused approach yields competitive advantage
- Automotive Service Advisor / Automotive Service ConsultantLarry H. Miller Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram is looking for experienced Service Advisors to join our industry leading service team! Service Advisors / Automotive Service Consultants interpret customer needs for the mechanics. The average annual salary for an ex
- Critical Care Unit Registered NurseCentra Healthcare Solutions is seeking an experienced Registered Nurse that is licensed or in the immediate process, and qualifies, of obtaining RN licensure in OH to work in Hospital in the specialty area of CCU.This is a 4 week assignmentThis is a Days p
- SuperintendentThe Construction Site Superintendent wil be responsible for all on site construction activities and a member of a project management team working with the Project Manager, Asssitant Project Manager, Architect/Engineer and Client. With almost 40 years in NY
- Registered Nurse