Age stereotypes can strongly affect people’s choices about who to hire, according to new research published in the Journal of Social Issues. The University of Kent study found that between two equally qualified job applicants, the one who displays stereotypically “young” characteristics is more likely to be hired than the one with stereotypically “old” characteristics. The young stereotype was described as a candidate “good at using IT, creative and quick to learn new skills.” The older stereotype candidate was “good at understanding others’ views, settling arguments, and being careful.” In a series of experiments, the research team led by psychology Professor Dominic Abrams asked people to imagine they were running a firm and then to select the candidate who would help them make the most money. The study participants were told about the candidates’ skills, but not given their ages. More than 70 percent of the participants favored the “young” profile job applicant. The findings show that people’s unacknowledged assumptions about age and age-related capability can affect the way they view someone’s employability. If these assumptions affect employers’ judgements, it has serious implications for the fair chances of older workers to gain employment in new roles or workplaces, the authors said in a press release. The study’s conclusions probably wouldn’t surprise many older job seekers. A series of AARP studies found that older employees were perceived as being unwilling to adapt to technology, resistant to new ways, and inflexible. In addition, older workers who have lost a job remain unemployed longer than any other age group. A 2015 AARP study found that half of the people ages 45 to 70 who lost their jobs in the previous five years were still not working. Among those who had found jobs, nearly half said they were earning less than in their previous jobs. Ageism in hiring has been in the spotlight most notably in the tech industry, which is dominated by younger people.
- Knoxville, TN - Critical Care SpecialistLa Jolla plans to build a new commercial organization and launch its first commercial product which provides a clinically unmet need in a disease state with a current mortality rate upwards of 80%. The Critical Care Field Team will represent La Jolla Pharm
- Escrow AssistantLocal Escrow office in La Quinta looking for an Escrow Assistant The Escrow Assistant will provide support during the opening, maintaining, and closing of escrow accounts. They assist escrow officers by creating and editing correspondence and documents, ma
- CALL CENTER REPRESENTATIVESUniversal Screen Arts, Inc. is a multi-brand and online retailer in Hudson, Ohio, with immediate openings for several SEASONAL INBOUND CALL CENTER REPRESENTATIVES. Our call center team receives inbound calls from customers looking to purchase one or more o
- Warehouse AssociateCorestaff Services is seeking 3 contract records specialist for a data collection and storage company located in Johnstown, PA. You will be working in a warehouse environment and your responsibilities would include processing orders and moving boxes of fil
- Hiring Professional Security Officers -- Snohomish County, WAThe Professional Security Officer is the heart of Allied Universal Services. Our officers allow us to accomplish our company’s core purpose which is “to serve, secure and care for the people and businesses in our communities”. The Professional Security Off
- Medical Record Technician / PractitionerMedical Record Technician / Practitioner The position maintains the medical records of the center in accordance with policies and procedures established for the medical record keeping practices.
- Salesfloor Supervisor - Hardlines (Mt. Pleasant, MI #7014)To serve, delight, and engage our members while they shop their way. Supervises salesfloor associates, operations. Ensures store team delivers a WOW customer experience. Oversees the store recovery process and may have ownership of opening closing responsi
- Shipping and ReceivingAbout M S International, Inc. Founded in 1975, MSI is the leading supplier of Premium Surfaces including flooring, countertops, decorative mosaics, wall tile and hardscaping products. MSI’s product offering includes an extensive selection of granite, marbl
- Satellite TechnicianHas an overall understanding of the work environment and process, with a working knowledge of the organization and an intermediate level of technical skills required to complete assignments Strong organizational and communications skills Ability to work un
- Intensive care unit - ICU RN - Travel NurseWe're looking for Intensive Care Unit RNs for an immediate travel nurse opening in Kingsport, TN. The right nurse should have 1-2 years recent acute care experience. Read below for more requirements. As an ICU Travel Nurse, you'll be responsible fo
- Knoxville, TN - Critical Care Specialist