Age stereotypes can strongly affect people’s choices about who to hire, according to new research published in the Journal of Social Issues. The University of Kent study found that between two equally qualified job applicants, the one who displays stereotypically “young” characteristics is more likely to be hired than the one with stereotypically “old” characteristics. The young stereotype was described as a candidate “good at using IT, creative and quick to learn new skills.” The older stereotype candidate was “good at understanding others’ views, settling arguments, and being careful.” In a series of experiments, the research team led by psychology Professor Dominic Abrams asked people to imagine they were running a firm and then to select the candidate who would help them make the most money. The study participants were told about the candidates’ skills, but not given their ages. More than 70 percent of the participants favored the “young” profile job applicant. The findings show that people’s unacknowledged assumptions about age and age-related capability can affect the way they view someone’s employability. If these assumptions affect employers’ judgements, it has serious implications for the fair chances of older workers to gain employment in new roles or workplaces, the authors said in a press release. The study’s conclusions probably wouldn’t surprise many older job seekers. A series of AARP studies found that older employees were perceived as being unwilling to adapt to technology, resistant to new ways, and inflexible. In addition, older workers who have lost a job remain unemployed longer than any other age group. A 2015 AARP study found that half of the people ages 45 to 70 who lost their jobs in the previous five years were still not working. Among those who had found jobs, nearly half said they were earning less than in their previous jobs. Ageism in hiring has been in the spotlight most notably in the tech industry, which is dominated by younger people.
- Registered NurseUnder direct supervision, this position is responsible for performing all duties related to the efficient, safe, and compliant collection of blood and blood products. Works collaboratively as a member of the team and in alignment with the values of the org
- Student Truck Drivers Needed – great pay and benefits!The opportunity once you’ve finished the course and obtained your Class A CDL would be a regional flatbed driving opportunity where you’d be away from home during the week and then are home on the weekends! Average earnings for first year driver with our c
- Security Officer/ High RiseKey Words: Security Guard, Security Officer, Security, Protective Agent, Watchman, Night Watchman, Day Watchman, Surveillance, Security, Surveillance Officer, Loss Prevention, Theft Prevention, Customer Service Security Officer, Hotel Security Officer, Saf
- Emergency Room Registered NurseCentra Healthcare Solutions is seeking an experienced Registered Nurse that is licensed or in the immediate process, and qualifies, of obtaining RN licensure in MT to work in Hospital in the specialty area of Emergency Room.This is a 13 week assignmentThis
- HVAC MechanicWe know that a company's success starts with its employees. We also know that an individual's success starts with the right career opportunity. As a Best of Staffing ® Client and Talent leader, Aerotek's people-focused approach yields competitive advantage
- Accounting AssociateUnder general supervision, investigates, analyzes, and reconciles accounting and financial related information as well as prepares financial statements. Acts as a liaison between internal departments and affiliates in resolving outstanding issues.
- Structures Technician $34/HrWe know that a company's success starts with its employees. We also know that an individual's success starts with the right career opportunity. As a Best of Staffing ® Client and Talent leader, Aerotek's people-focused approach yields competitive advantage
- Automotive Service Advisor / Automotive Service ConsultantLarry H. Miller Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram is looking for experienced Service Advisors to join our industry leading service team! Service Advisors / Automotive Service Consultants interpret customer needs for the mechanics. The average annual salary for an ex
- Critical Care Unit Registered NurseCentra Healthcare Solutions is seeking an experienced Registered Nurse that is licensed or in the immediate process, and qualifies, of obtaining RN licensure in OH to work in Hospital in the specialty area of CCU.This is a 4 week assignmentThis is a Days p
- SuperintendentThe Construction Site Superintendent wil be responsible for all on site construction activities and a member of a project management team working with the Project Manager, Asssitant Project Manager, Architect/Engineer and Client. With almost 40 years in NY
- Registered Nurse